We will be at the Jefferson Memorial Sunday Market on Sunday, October 8, from 9:30 am until 1:30 pm to let people know about ballot items and upcoming voting events. If you’re unable to attend the market, you can view the ballot items online at your leisure here.
45th Ward residents 14-years-old and up will have the opportunity to vote October 16 through October 28, 2017. To view what items are on this year’s ballot, make sure to visit the 2018 Ballot Items page.
For the first year, 45th Ward residents aged 14 and older will be able to vote online for the 2018 participatory budgeting cycle! After voter turnout decreased in the 2016 cycle, the number one request my office received was to allow residents to cast their ballot online. I am pleased to announce that in partnership with Participatory Budgeting Chicago and Stanford University, we are now able to provide this option.
Online voting begins Monday, October 16th and continues until 3:00 p.m., Saturday, October 28th.To vote online, all you have to do is fill out an online registration form. My staff will respond with the voting site link and a special access code to allow you to vote. Please do not share your code with anyone else; your code is unique and may be used only once. Please note that this is not an automated system; rather, office employees will be verifying the information. This may result in a delay from the time you submit the registration form to when you receive the one-time code.
Early In-Person Voting
Re45th Ward residents 14-years-old and up will have the opportunity to vote early in-person in the ward office, 4754 N. Milwaukee, October 16 through October 27, 2017. Please bring proof of residency to vote.
There will also be multiple mobile voting events ahead of the final vote on October 28. The mobile voting events will take place from:
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm on October 16 at the Copernicus Center, 5216 W. Lawrence, during the Jefferson Park Master Plan community meeting;
- 10:00 am – 2:00 pm on October 20 at the Jefferson Park Branch Library, 5363 W. Lawrence. Ward residents will also have the opportunity to receive a free flu shot at this event;
- 9:00 am – 1:00 pm on October 22 at the Independence Park Farmers Market, 3945 N. Springfield; and
- 9:30 am – 1:30 pm on October 22 at the Jefferson Park Sunday Market, 4822 N. Long.
The final vote will take place from:
- 10:00 am – 3:00 pm on October 28 at the Congregational Church of Jefferson Park, 5320 W. Giddings.
Participatory budgeting works best when the community participates, so we hope to see you at a voting event.
Come to an assembly to share your ideas and help decide how to spend taxpayer money!
Participatory budgeting (PB) is a democratic process in which community members directly decide how to spend part of a public budget. PB gives ordinary people real decision-making power over real money. The process was first developed in Brazil in 1989, and there are now over 1,500 participatory budgets around the world.
Since 2012, Alderman Arena has given one million of its discretionary capital funds (“menu money”) to the community to decide how to spend through a participatory budgeting (PB) process.
It works like this:
• PB begins in the Spring with ward residents and stakeholders proposing spending ideas at neighborhood assemblies.
• Next, volunteer community representatives take those ideas and develop them into project proposals.
• Finally, residents 14 years of age or older vote on projects, and the projects that receive the most votes are submitted by Alderman Arena for funding to the City of Chicago for implementation.
PB in the 45th Ward is part of the Participatory Budgeting Chicago (PB Chicago) initiative. For more information about PB or PB Chicago please visit www.pbchicago.org