The City of Chicago requires the completion of a Special Event(s) Permit Packet in order to host a neighborhood festival. These festivals can be a number of things, including large street festivals, 5Ks, outdoor fundraising events, and more. The application process can be onerous and confusing, so please contact my office with any questions.
Please note the following important changes to the special event permitting process and organize your event to avoid paying large processing fees:
DCASE will now charge a nonrefundable processing fee of:
- $100.00 if the application is submitted more than 60 days prior to the event;
- $200.00 if the application is submitted between 59 and 45 days prior to the event;
- $500.00 if the application is submitted between 44 and 30 days prior to the event;
- $1,000.00 if the application is submitted between 29 and 15 days prior to the event; and
- $2,000.00 if the application is submitted between 14 and 7 days prior to the event.
No application for a special event permit shall be accepted less than 7 days prior to the special event.
Alderman Arena also has internal guidelines for outdoor special events.
- Events must end no later than 10 PM.
- If an event is ending at 10 PM, alcohol sales must end at 9:30 PM to ensure festival-goers last drinks are consumed by the end of the event. All other alcohol sale end times will be approved or denied based on the event and what it entails.
- Letters of support will not be issued until a completed packet is submitted to the office.
- Applicants must allow the Alderman’s office ample time to review completed packets prior to providing letters of support.
- In order to ensure this, please provide contact information when submitting packet for approval.