In an effort spearheaded by my office, a proposal for a comprehensive economic development plan for Jefferson Park has been accepted as part of the 2016 Community Planning Program of Projects (https://www.rtachicago.com/…/community-pl…/2016-applications) by the Regional Transportation Authority. 80% of the funding will come from the RTA, while the remaining 20% will be from Jefferson Park TIF district funds.
There is considerable activity happening in Jefferson Park, and our community needs a long-term strategic and economic development plan. Several steps have gotten the area to this point, including: proposed transited oriented developments; the organizing of a special service area; pedestrian friendly policies implemented by my office, CDOT, and the Department of Planning and Development; and a reinvigorated chamber of commerce.
This plan is also timely, as the Jefferson Park Transit Center will soon undergo a $25 million renovation as part of the Chicago Transit Authority’s comprehensive improvement plan “Your New Blue.” The transit center will play a central role in the redevelopment of the area and must be incorporated into economic development plans.
Jefferson Park residents, business owners, community leaders, and organizations are integral to this planning process. The community and commercial district are ready for a strong and guiding vision to rejuvenate an area that is on the cusp of vibrant economic growth and major revitalization.
There will be several opportunities to get involved and have meaningful input. As this plan takes shape, we’ll keep you informed of ways to get involved and be a part of the planning process. Please call my office at (773) 286-4545 should you have any questions or comments.