Join Alderman John Arena for an Important Meeting on Wednesday, May 9th, 7:00 pm Forest Preserve Volunteer Resource Center – 6100 N Central Ave, Chicago 60646 formerly the Edgebrook Community Center ~ FREE PARKING AVAILABLE ~
The Emerald Ash Borer Invades Chicago! Chicago has been invaded by a deadly species of beetle, the Emerald Ash Borer. This infestation is one of the worst natural disasters to affect the entire eastern hardwood forest of the United States in the last century. Its devastation makes the Dutch Elm disease and the recent Longhorn Beetle infestation look like child’s play. As of last year, the Emerald Ash Borer infestation had killed over 50 million ash trees across the eastern United States and Canada. All 8.7 billion ash trees in North America will eventually be attacked and could die.
45th Ward Residents!
• Learn what the city of Chicago is doing to combat this environmental disaster in the making.
• Learn what steps homeowners must take now to save their own ash trees and avoid costly tree removal costs down the road.
• Learn how to identify an infested tree and to determine if the tree can be saved.
• Learn why any untreated ash trees will face certain death.
• Learn why this devastating infestation will affect all Chicago residents whether they own an ash tree or not..
Comprehensive presentations will be given by John Friedmann from the Save the Ash Tree Coalition and by Michael Brown from the City of Chicago, Bureau of Forestry. Tree service providers will be on hand to answer questions and discuss treatment options.
City of Chicago Rahm Emanuel, Mayor John Arena, Alderman – 45th Ward North River Commission
A partnership of public and private entities working together to save the ash tree in Chicago and northeastern Illinois. SAVE THE ASH TREE COALITION for more information: www.SaveYourAsh.org or call the 45th Ward office: 773-286-4545