Statement on 4500 N. Laporte Fire
The news of a neighbor passing away in his home in the 4500-block of North Laporte on Thursday evening is devastating. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they grieve their loved one.
Just before 9:00 pm that night, firefighters were called to a home after a man accidentally started a fire in his kitchen. Firefighters arrived quickly on scene and were able to extinguish the fire. Crews indicated that they did have trouble accessing the kitchen due to an excessive amount of debris throughout the home. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Thank you to Fire Engine 108 on Milwaukee and Laramie for your quick action on this tragic incident.
I would like to take a moment to remind residents of basic fire safety tips that will help keep them and their families safe:
- The U.S. Fire Administration recommends that you test your smoke detector at least once a month and change batteries at least twice a year. A good way to help remember to change your batteries is when you change your clock for daylight savings time in the fall and again in the spring.
- Keep a working smoke alarm in every bedroom in the house. Half of home fire deaths happen between 11 pm and 7 am, when most people are asleep.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen and make sure you know how to operate it in the event of a kitchen fire.
- Never throw hot grease in the garbage can. Instead, let it cool and dispose of it in an old coffee can or other metal container.
- If you do have candles in your home, make sure to extinguish them after use. Wider and shorter candles are recommended are less likely to tip over.
- Know how to extinguish a fire based on the type. For a grease fire, do not put water on it. Instead, turn off the source of heat (e.g. burner) and attempt to remove oxygen from the flame (e.g. by covering it with another pot or lid). If that fails, dump a generous amount of baking soda on it.
- For electrical fires, you will need to turn off the power to the electrical system. If you are unable to cut off the power source, use a Class C-rated extinguisher. If you are able to cut the power source, use a Class A or dry chemical extinguisher. Always make sure to keep electrical systems clear of dust, trash, and spider webs.
- Make sure to come up with a fire escape plan for your household. This includes not only how to get out of the house in the event of a fire, but identifying a designated area to meet once outside.
- In the event you do catch fire, follow the Stop, Drop, and Roll technique. Do not run if your clothing catches fire. Instead, stop where you are, drop to the ground, and roll. Make sure to visit a hospital immediately to treat your burns.
- Do not hesitate to call 911 in the event of a fire – even if you believe the fire has been successfully extinguished. It is better to have the fire department inspect the household and confirm that it has been put out than having it spread.